During the summer of 1995, Trinity University’s Association of Student Representatives (ASR) purchased the original Victory Bell.
The Victory Bell was actually made in 1869, the same year that Trinity was formed. ASR contacted a dealer in New England, and the University provided the $2,000 it cost to bring the Bell home.
The Victory Bell helped provide additional spirit and enthusiasm for Tiger fans at various athletic events in addition to being present at other Trinity-sponsored functions around campus. The Bell made its debut on August 30, 1995, at the annual Tower Party, and it rang loudly as well during its first athletic event on September 9, 1995, as the Tiger football team scored a 26-0 win over Pomona Pitzer College.
The Trinity “Superfund” even provided money to have a cart built around the Bell so that it could easily be moved from one venue to another on campus. Over the years, the Victory Bell has been providing Tiger fans with a sense of pride and spirit as it rings long and loudly after Tiger teams score. During the fall of 2015, the newly recognized Trinity Spirit Organization gave the Victory Bell a facelift. The cart and Bell were both painted, and a stencil depicting the Trinity spirit logo was placed on the outside, making this shining replica of Tiger Pride even more impressive.
Guest authored by Steve Mohr, former head football coach at Trinity University.